A Guide to Car Importation to Kenya
Please note: This guide is just an outline to the process and regulations of motor vehicle importation / exportation to Kenya and cannot be used as hard and fast rules due to various variables affecting importation of motor vehicles to Kenya. If in doubt, please do not hesitate to contact us.
The three main regulations when considering importing / exporting a car to Kenya are:
- Age Limit: In 2015 only vehicles manufactured in the year 2008 and onwards will be allowed to be imported into Kenya
- Left Hand Drive Vehicles: All left hand drive vehicles are not allowed for registration unless they have a special purpose.
- Road Worthiness: All motor vehicles imported into Kenya must be inspected prior to shipment by JEVIC or QISJ for road worthiness.
Transit Time and Shipping Methods
Depending on which service is used, the transit time from port to port tends to be 21 days or more. We offer a range of shipping methods such as Roll on Roll off as well as containers. We always advise our clients on the best choice striving to meet their time lines, needs and budget.
Duty Exemptions - Returning Residents
A returning resident may import one exempt motor vehicle provided that:
- The person has attained age of 18 years
- The vehicle is registered in his/her name for a period of at least 365 days excluding the shipment period.
- The vehicle should arrive within 90 days of the owners arrival
- Must have stayed in the foreign country for more then two years
- Within the two years that the owner has been away, they ought not to have made a visit and stayed in Kenya for a period exceeding in aggregate of 90 days.
Documents required to clear the vehicle
- Original passport to confirm the above
- Vehicle Log book to confirm the above
- Bill of Lading
- Pre Inspection Certificate
- KRA Pin Card
Vehicles for diplomatic or consulate missions, vehicles for the United Nations or its specialised agencies, vehicles for foreign embassies, vehicles for donor agencies, specifically designed vehicles to be used by the disabled, rally drivers - certain exemptions.